Wednesday, October 11, 2006

today

New Page og X-Ray

I just started to love my job today. I knew this is somehow what I wanted to do, but since its only been a month here, I've been confused and a little freaked out about the responsibility. But today I fell in love witht he possibilities of the job.

I went to a conference about integration of multucultural youth (this is my work now - and a subject highky present in the media) and I was introduced to the finest bunch of entrepeneurs I've ever meet! It was young and enthusiastic people with the heart in the right place and with a wish to change our society and to give young people with a migrant background a future.

Oddly, I felt proud. In so many ways I have nothing to do with their achievement, but still I felt proud. And I could not really define why. I grew up not knowing their world existed, as I grew up pretty protected and without an immigrant in my classroom (except for a polish girl). At University and in my travels I took an interest in different cultures and I wanted to change they way minorities are treated in western society. But this self-rightegous idealism does not earn me the right to me proud. But read your self (if you understand norwegian) and you try not to feel proud of them:
Dilan Ayhan
Marco Elsafadi
Elyas Mohammed

I sort of realised what you could do in a job like mine; you can meet people like this and you can create a ground for them to build their ideas on, or more acuratly a place where ideas no longer are ideas but reality. I hope I will manage. And if I don't these people WILL manage.

The interesting thing though is that a bit of humanity is what I'm left with today. In my job I speak about what we can do for a specific group, but today I talked about human ideals; what makes us feel selfrespect and what makes us value ourself and our lives. These people work with a basic human principle: building selfrespect in youth who has lost that and so much more. They talk about giving young people courage and belief in themself with as simple methods as hugs, smiles

No comments: